Wednesday, April 18, 2007

REVIEW: Akon, "Konvicted"


Artist: Akon
Album: Konvicted
Year Released: 2006 - Universal Motown Records
Genre: Hip Hop, R and B
Rating: (2/4) Awesome

In general, I do not gravitate towards hip hop, RandB, Rap, or any other genre of that nature. Although there are a few gems, the music just doesn't do anything for me. And yet despite a gradual decline it remains the most popular style of music today. It is everywhere, and I can't seem to get away from it. So I decided to check out the newest artist in the full lineup - Akon and his latest release "Konvicted".

Labeled as the Saviour of hip hop (really), the little man from Senegal has pioneered his way into the record charts with a fusion of styles that he is personally responsible for. He wrote and produced all but one of the tracks on Konvicted, and his personal style is evident throughout the mix.

So here's the rundown. I have to give him props for his rise to fame, and for navigating the treacherous slopes of the American Business. It takes a lot of desire and drive to succeed as well as he has. But...

I just don't see it. It doesn't make any sense to me how, or why anyone would want to mix the street hip hop gang style with the Mr. Nice Guy attitude (note the sweater). All in all, after all the "fusion" takes place all your left with is a Rasta groove with a regular beat. When I listen to his most popular diddy - "Don't Matter", I can envision sitting on a beach in Jamaica with some happy weed and a dreadlocked do.

Another song - "Smack That" featuring Eminem leaves a lot to be desired. Although Eminem, one of the true artists of this genre shines as usual, I leave the song wondering what is so important that Akon must smack it. (Shaking my Head...)

The rest of the album is as drab as the rest. Akon's vocal quality, a higher pitched processed sound droning on and on. The beats are pretty standard, the lyrics are un-original, and I just don't understand it. I guess some-one has to be on top...


Album Produced by: Akon, Hakim Abdulsamad, Keon Bryce, Rask, Dwight Reynolds "Skrapp", Eminem, and Benny- D.

No comments: