Monday, February 5, 2007

Show Review": Purple Rain in Florida during Halftime.



Ahh the Super Bowl, the epitome of television entertainment. Where else can you find it, drama, comedy, action, and a plethora of men running about in tight white pants in the pouring rain for 4 hours? What a thrill. I must admit the game was not half bad, with Peyton Manning leading his Colts to a glorious victory over "da Bears", but that's not why we're here.

No, we are here to take a closer look at what was probably one of the weirdest halftime shows in the history of the game. This year the entertainer of choice was none other than prince, the stick tall skinny rocker with the purple guitar. It was the talk of our party this year that ever since the debacle with the boob that the networks were trying to play it safe with their mid game entertainment. They seem to continually bring in the “older generation” of stars to perform for the rowdy and over charged football fans. But is it safe with Prince? The man who a few years back renamed himself to the “Artist Formerly Known as”?

I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of Prince. He is not on my playlist I any of the genres of music I listen too. I do not even really know any of his music, nor would I be able to pick him out of a music lineup on the radio. And from what I could tell during his performance, I was right. His vocals were a bit to off for me, his lyrics were strange, he kept breaking into this odd sound that resembled a bird dying while calling out whoo hooo-ooo-oo’s or something like that. No, prince is not my cup of tea. Not to mention his outfit was outrageous, his hair was odd, and his doo-rag made him look a bit like an overworked Aunt Jemima.

I was amazed at his perseverance however, and I must admit that he is does have some skills. It takes a real artist, who is committed to his craft to play through the pouring rain with football fans watching in awe of you. (As a side note, I wonder if Prince is a fan of the game?) Never having heard him play I was impressed by his skills on the guitar while he was shredding it up on the giant oddly shaped stage. And the music was well played, on the beat, on key for the most part, and entertaining to watch for a little while.

But the crowning moment, which ruined it all for me, was the medley of songs he mashed together towards the end of his performance, at least one of which had previously been performed by the Foo-Fighters. It was definately hard to hear or understand, but I'm sure I heard a bit of "All along the watchtower" through the pouring purple rain. There is also no way in this universe was he going to pull off a song better than Dave and the Boys. In my opinion Prince should stick to what he does best, what ever that is.

To sum it up, no I am not a converted fan of the man in purple. While he had some skills on the guitar, I can not overcome his gaudy appearance and over the top vocals. He did a good job, and that's that.

No comments: